This website is provided by
the Heathfield Partnership
Show menu
Edit Your Listing

Waldron Cricket Club

Waldron Cricket Club

Waldron Cricket Club
East Sussex

Website: Visit website

Secretary: Mr R Bather, 01435 810076

Club founded in 1757, first match recorded in 1746.

100 year centenary game scheduled for 24th May 1857 never happened because of heavy snow. A notice board (later found in an outside toilet in Warren lane) was put up on the ground to notify travelling party (horses and carts) that the game was off.

The bi-centenary game, planned for 1957 and recorded in the AGM minutes of that year, eventually was run in 1960 with all players dressed and equipped in the style of 1757.

The Cricket Club played its home fixtures from origin on Church land to the north side of the road.

The Ground was named as the" Cattam," which is a Breton word that may well have been a Ladies game that become stoolball.

In 1921 the Lucas Family offered the Cricket Club the use of the existing site, both flatter and with better drainage.

In June 1923 the surviving men of the 1st World War built the pavilion over a weekend. -The Pavilion was giv-en to Waldron C.C. by R.E. Hassell esq in the memory of his late Brother Lt. Col. Robert de Bray Hassell O.M.C. When the floorboards collapsed in the late 1990s the discarded beer bottles (now in the Star) from that origi-nal working party were found underneath.

The ground, laid on a windswept slope of sandstone, has outstanding drainage and combining that with the leg-end of the centenary game, the club motto has become "Nives Ludum Impedire Solum Possunt" which translated from the Latin, means "Only snow can stop play!"

The official address of the club is the Star Inn where some memorabilia is kept.

The new pavilion was opened 2007—the 250th anniver-sary of the Club. This followed many years of fund-raising, organised by the Cattam Committee, with the objective of improving the sporting facilities in the vil-lage.

In the latter stages the President, Sir Roger Neville and Vice President, Roger Dann were both instrumental in the execution of the building itself.